Ha Giang Loop tour: the highlights in 3 days
- Driving the Ha Giang loop is the best experience you can do in Vietnam
- Choose either on the back of a motorbike (adventurous option) or by jeep (comfortable option) – both private tours
- Explore the most remote villages and markets and learn more about the unique minorities living in the mountains.
- Behold the most impressive views of mountains and passes in Southeast Asia; lots of stunning photo oppurtunities
- Local experience staying in a homestay and eating in local restaurants
- Local English speaking guides that can stop whenever you want
Options to get to Ha Giang & back
Homestay package + 1 day
Depart from Hanoi in the early morning the day before you want to start the Ha Giang loop (Day 0). Transfer from your hotel in Hanoi to Ha Giang by luxury limousine minibus.
Arrive in the afternoon in Ha Giang. Stay in a local authentic minority village just outside town. You have the afternoon to explore the beautiful village, including rice fields around. The village belongs to the Thai minority, who live in houses on stilts. You will spend the night in a homestay in this village where you will be picked up the next day to start the Ha Giang loop tour.
VIP Limousine Sleeper Bus
We can arrange a private car from Hanoi or other destinations in Vietnam to Ha Giang
If you are planning to visit Sapa too, it is recommend to get our tour Sapa + Ha Giang Loop – that includes direct transfers between Sapa and Ha Giang City.
Arrange your own transfer to Ha Giang
If you are traveling to Ha Giang from another city, you can arrange this yourself or contact us in advance.
Day 1: Ha Giang Loop tour
On this first day we drive just over 150 kilometers to the town of Dong Van. There are several stops along the way and you will hike for about 1 hour.
The first stop is Heaven’s Gate at 1500 meters high with beautiful views over the mountains. A little bit lower down the pass there is another stop at a viewpoint with a view on the famous twin mountains.
After these stops you will have lunch at a local restaurant in the village at the bottom of the pass.
When you are done eating your Ha Giang Loop tour continues with more and more high mountains on the way and small villages of ethnic minorities.
One of the places where you definitely want to stop during this part of the loop is the photogenic Tham Ma Pass.
Views are only getting better and better. Enjoy your drive through the stunning Sung La valley, where you can also find an ancient village.
After passing this village you climb the Chin Khoanh pass.
Before you are at Dong Van there is at least one more stop and that is at the HMong King Palace (Vuong Palace). This palace was built for the king of the Hmong minority.
Depending on the amount of stops you will be at Dong Van at around 17:00 (5 PM).
Check in to your homestay or hotel. After dinner you could visit the small but beautiful looking Old Quarter of this town.
- This hotel is located right in the center of Dong Van. You can easily walk to Dong Van Old Quarter and the big Sunday market. Lots of restaurants nearby.
- The hotel is for Ha Giang standards very good, with clean rooms, private bathroom, air conditioning and all the basics you need for a short overnight stay
Add optional day(s): Dong Van Trekking
Optionally you can add an extra day in Dong Van to do trekking. Multiple day trekkings are possible too.
We explore the mountains, countryside and small local villages of ethnic minorities and go off the beaten track where other travelers don’t come.
Day 2: Ha Giang Loop tour
Your Ha Giang Loop tour by motorbike or car continues on day two, where you will explore the most impressive mountain areas.
If this day falls on a Sunday, you are very lucky, because then you can first visit the large minority market in Dong Van.
You will depart after breakfast and drive through the Dong Van Plateau, a protected UNESCO Geopark. The views you will have from this road are breathtaking.
Eventually you arrive in Lung Cu where a huge flagpole stands on top of a mountain. This place is the northernmost tip of Vietnam. At the top you can see the mountains of Vietnam on one side and the mountains of China on the other.
After lunch comes the absolute highlight of the Ha Giang Loop tour for many travelers: the Ma Pi Leng Pass. The absolute king of all mountain passes in Vietnam, with steep cliffs and epic views.
Take your time to take pictures and enjoy the view everywhere.
Then you will continue to the town of Meo Vac, where you will arrive around 5:00 PM (5 PM) and stay overnight.
Day 3: Ha Giang Loop tour
Also in Meo Vac there is a market on Sunday. It is even the biggest ethnic minority market in Ha Giang, so you are in for a threat if you happen to be in Meo Vac on Sunday.
In your last day of the Ha Giang Loop tour we have to head back to our starting point Ha Giang City to complete the loop. But not before you enjoy many more beautiful views and drive through many minority villages on this day.
Lunch is halfway in a village.
From now on the landscape changes a bit. You will start to see more and more rice fields, including terraced rice fields.
At 16:00, we will be back in Ha Giang. A limousine bus will take you back to Hanoi. Arrive in Hanoi around 22:00.
1) Transfers Hanoi – Ha Giang (and back)
- Limousine day bus + Thon Tha village
- VIP sleeper bus
- Normal sleeper bus
- Private transfer
2) Transportation options
- Ha Giang Loop tour by motorbike – Most recommended option
- Ha Giang Loop tour by car/jeep – Most comfortable option
- Ha Giang Loop motorbike tour self driving – Only available with motorbike license and IDP
3) Accommodation option
- Standard: More local experience with staying in homestays and more chance to meet other travelers. Rooms are often more basic.
- Comfort: Stay overnight in more comfortable accommodation, like hotel, lodge and bungalow.
4) Optional activities
- Trekking in Ha Giang: 1 day or multiple day tours available
- Start tour: Ha Giang City or Hanoi
- End tour: Ha Giang City or Hanoi
- Duration: 3 – 4 days
- Starts: Daily
This is a private tour. We do have a join-in tour available, with a slightly different itinerary. When you are interested, ask us for more information.
- English speaking guide
- All accommodation mentioned in the itinerary
- All meals mentioned in the itinerary
- All transfers mentioned in the itinerary
- All entrance fees mentioned in the itinerary
- Meals and services not mentioned in the itinerary
- Personal expanses
- Confirmation: You will receive a confirmation immediately after booking. You will receive a voucher by e-mail within 3 working hours. If you have not received your voucher, please check the Spam or notify us via email or chat.
- Voucher:Save a digital voucher on your phone. As a sustainable company, we would like to ask you not to print the voucher..
- Itinerary: The itinerary is subject to change depending on the weather and other conditions.
- Pick-up:Please arrive at the hotel lobby 10 minutes prior to departure. Please be patient on shared / group tours in case of unforeseen delays along the pick-up route.
- Cancellation:View the cancellation conditions here.
The option with car is the most comfortable. You sit more comfortably and are better protected against the weather elements, such as rain, strong sun, cold and heat.
But we can assure you that riding on the back of a motorcycle is just as much fun, as you don’t have the stress of driving on these roads or being stopped by the police. This gives you more freedom to look around and enjoy all the beautiful views.
Booking & Information request
Ask for booking, availability, pricing or general questions about this tour.