Vietnam in December - Weather & Best places to visit
Here are 4 reasons why you should consider traveling to Vietnam in December
- Beautiful weather: December is one of the driest and coolest months in Vietnam, making it an ideal time to explore the country’s stunning landscapes and beaches without being too hot or rainy.
- Festive atmosphere: The month of December is filled with festivals and celebrations across the country, including Christmas and New Year’s Eve. The streets are beautifully decorated with lights, and the markets are full of festive treats.
- Fewer crowds: With the peak tourist season over, December is a great time to enjoy Vietnam’s attractions without the large crowds that can sometimes overwhelm popular destinations.
- Cultural experiences: December is a time when many traditional Vietnamese festivals take place, such as the Tet Tao Quan and the Winter Solstice Festival. This is a great opportunity to experience local traditions and customs firsthand.
A quick overview
Vietnam weather in December
December is a good time to visit Vietnam, offering pleasant weather conditions with cooler temperatures and lower humidity. Travelers can expect comfortable temperatures throughout the country, although weather variations exist between the regions.
In northern Vietnam, places like Hanoi, Sapa, and Ninh Binh experience average temperatures ranging from 15°C to 22°C (59°F to 72°F). It can be quite chilly, especially in the mountainous areas, and there may be occasional light rain. However, it’s an excellent time to explore the cultural and historical sites, trek in the mountains, and witness stunning landscapes.
Central Vietnam, including cities like Da Nang, Hoi An, and Hue, enjoys pleasant temperatures ranging from 20°C to 27°C (68°F to 81°F). The region is still in rainy season, but experiences less rainfall and more sunshine compared with the previous three months.
Southern Vietnam, including Ho Chi Minh City, Mekong Delta, and Phu Quoc Island, experiences warm temperatures of around 24°C to 32°C (75°F to 90°F). It’s the dry season in the south, characterized by lower humidity and plenty of sunshine. This makes it an ideal time to explore the vibrant city, immerse in the Mekong Delta’s floating markets, and relax on the beautiful beaches of Phu Quoc.
Overall, December offers pleasant weather conditions for exploring different regions of Vietnam.
Events in December in Vietnam
December is an exciting month to be in Vietnam as it is the start of the peak travel season and there are many events and festivals taking place. Some of the events in December in Vietnam are:
- Christmas and New Year’s Eve: Many Vietnamese cities, especially Ho Chi Minh City and Hanoi, are decorated with lights and holiday decorations. There are often fireworks displays and parties to celebrate both Christmas and New Year’s Eve.
- Da Lat Flower Festival: This festival takes place in the city of Da Lat in the Central Highlands of Vietnam. It showcases the city’s stunning flowers and includes a parade, flower displays, and other cultural activities.
- Hue Festival: The Hue Festival is held in the ancient capital of Hue and is a celebration of the city’s heritage and culture. It includes performances, music, and cultural activities.
- Hoi An Lantern Festival: This monthly festival takes place on the 14th day of the lunar calendar, which falls in December in 2022. The city of Hoi An is decorated with lanterns, and there are cultural performances and events throughout the night.
- Phu Quoc International Marathon: This annual marathon takes place on Phu Quoc Island and attracts runners from around the world. There are multiple race distances available, as well as post-race celebrations.
- Nha Trang Sea Festival: This festival celebrates the coastal city of Nha Trang and includes cultural performances, water sports competitions, and a street parade.
These are just a few of the many events and festivals taking place in Vietnam in December.
Best places to visit in Vietnam in December
December is a great time to visit Vietnam as it marks the beginning of the dry season and offers pleasant weather across the country. Here are some of the best places to visit in Vietnam in December:
- Hanoi: The capital city of Vietnam offers a mix of cultural and historical experiences, and the cooler weather in December makes it a great time to explore the city’s many attractions such as the Ho Chi Minh Mausoleum, the Temple of Literature, or the Old Quarter.
- Halong Bay: December is an ideal month to visit Halong Bay as the clear and sunny weather allows for stunning views of the bay’s limestone karsts and caves. You can also enjoy activities such as kayaking, swimming, and hiking.
- Sapa: Sapa is a mountainous region in the north of Vietnam known for its stunning rice terraces and ethnic minority villages. In December, the rice terraces have just been harvested, offering a unique and picturesque landscape.
- Hoi An: This charming ancient town in central Vietnam is particularly magical in December when it is adorned with colorful lanterns during the Hoi An Lantern Festival. The cool weather also makes it a great time to explore the town’s picturesque streets and enjoy local cuisine.
- Ho Chi Minh City: While the weather in Ho Chi Minh City can be hot and humid, December offers cooler temperatures and less rainfall, making it a good time to explore the city’s museums, markets, and street food.
- Phu Quoc Island: Located in the south of Vietnam, Phu Quoc Island offers white-sand beaches, crystal-clear waters, and beautiful coral reefs. December is the perfect time to visit as the weather is sunny and dry.
These are just a few of the many great places to visit in Vietnam in December. No matter where you go, be sure to check the weather forecast and pack accordingly.
Tips for traveling in December
- Embrace the festive atmosphere and enjoy the Christmas and New Year celebrations in major cities like Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.
- Pack layers of clothing to accommodate the cooler temperatures in northern Vietnam and the more moderate temperatures in the south.
December per destination
FAQ about traveling in December
Is December a good month to travel in Vietnam?
Yes, December is generally a good month to travel in Vietnam, as it marks the beginning of the dry season in most parts of the country. While temperatures can be cooler in the north and central regions, it’s still relatively warm in the south. The weather is generally sunny and dry, which is ideal for exploring the country’s many beautiful natural attractions such as Halong Bay, Sapa, or Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park.
December is also a popular time for cultural festivals and events such as the Hoi An Lantern Festival and the Hue Festival. However, keep in mind that December is also one of the busiest tourist months, so expect higher prices and crowds in popular destinations.
Is the weather in December good for traveling in Vietnam?
Yes, December can be a great time to travel to Vietnam for many people. While the weather can be cooler in the north, it is generally dry and pleasant in most regions, making it an excellent time for outdoor activities and sightseeing.
How busy are the tourist areas during December in Vietnam?
December is considered the peak tourist season in Vietnam due to the pleasant weather and holiday season. Therefore, tourist areas in Vietnam can be quite busy during this time, especially around Christmas and New Year’s Eve. Popular destinations such as Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Halong Bay, Hoi An, and Nha Trang can see a surge in tourist crowds, with hotels and tours being fully booked in advance. However, some less popular destinations or off-the-beaten-path locations might be less crowded and more peaceful.