Vietnam in May - Weather & Best places to visit
Here are 4 reasons why you should consider traveling to Vietnam in May
- Ideal weather: May marks the beginning of the summer season in Vietnam, bringing with it warm and sunny days with occasional showers, making it a great time for outdoor activities.
- Festivals and events: May hosts several exciting festivals and events across the country, such as the Hue Festival, Buddha’s Birthday, and Ho Chi Minh’s Birthday, offering visitors a chance to experience the vibrant culture and traditions of Vietnam.
- Less crowded: Compared to the peak season, May is a relatively quieter month, meaning you can explore the popular destinations with fewer crowds and at more affordable prices.
- Beautiful scenery: May is an excellent time to witness the stunning natural beauty of Vietnam, with lush greenery, blooming flowers, and crystal-clear waters, especially in places like Halong Bay, Sapa, and Ninh Binh.
A quick overview
Vietnam weather in May
May is generally a good month to visit Vietnam, as the country enters the transitional period between the dry and rainy seasons. You can expect warm temperatures and a mix of both sunshine and occasional rain showers. However, it’s important to note that weather conditions vary across the three regions of northern, central, and southern Vietnam.
In northern Vietnam, including Hanoi, Ha Long Bay, and Ninh Binh, May experiences average temperatures ranging from 24°C to 30°C (75°F to 86°F). The region begins to see increased rainfall, but sunny days are still prevalent. It is a great time to explore the lush landscapes, visit historical sites, and immerse in the cultural charm of the region.
Central Vietnam, encompassing cities like Da Nang, Hoi An, and Hue, starts to transition into its dry season in May. The average temperatures range from 26°C to 33°C (79°F to 91°F). There is less and less rainfall and many sunny days for exploration. As for the beaches, May is the start of the beach season and a very good time to visit.
Southern Vietnam, including Ho Chi Minh City, Mekong Delta, and Phu Quoc Island, experiences hot and humid weather in May, with average temperatures ranging from 28°C to 35°C (82°F to 95°F). The region enters its rainy season with increased rainfall, but there are still plenty of sunny intervals. It is a good time to explore the bustling city life, take boat tours in the Mekong Delta, and indulge in the vibrant street food scene. While the beaches might see some rain, there are still opportunities for relaxation and water activities.
Overall, May offers a mix of sunshine and occasional rain showers across Vietnam. It is a suitable time to explore the diverse attractions, engage in cultural experiences, and enjoy the vibrant atmosphere. Just be prepared for some rainfall, especially in northern and southern regions, and check weather forecasts for the best beach days.
Events in May in Vietnam
Here are some of the major events and festivals that take place in Vietnam in May:
- International Labor Day (May 1st): This national holiday celebrates the achievements of workers in Vietnam. Visitors can see parades and cultural performances in major cities like Hanoi and Ho Chi Minh City.
- Dien Bien Phu Victory Day (May 7th): This national holiday celebrates the victory of the Vietnamese over French colonial forces at Dien Bien Phu in 1954. Visitors can see parades and cultural performances in Dien Bien Phu City.
- Vesak (Buddha’s Birthday): This holiday is celebrated by Vietnamese Buddhists on the 15th day of the fourth lunar month, which usually falls in May. Visitors can see colorful processions, light candles and incense, and enjoy vegetarian food.
- Hue Traditional Craft Festival: This biennial festival takes place in the former imperial city of Hue, and showcases the city’s traditional crafts, such as embroidery, weaving, and woodcarving. Visitors can see demonstrations, attend workshops, and purchase handmade products.
- Hoi An Lantern Festival: This monthly festival takes place in the historic town of Hoi An on the 14th day of the lunar month. Visitors can see the town’s streets lit up by colorful lanterns, and participate in traditional games and activities.
Best places to visit in Vietnam in May
May is a good month to visit Vietnam as it is not too hot and the rainy season hasn’t started yet in many parts of the country. Here are some of the best places to visit in Vietnam in May:
- Hanoi: The capital city of Vietnam is a great place to explore in May. The temperature is pleasant, and there are many cultural and historical sites to visit.
- Halong Bay: A UNESCO World Heritage site, Halong Bay is famous for its limestone karsts, caves, and crystal-clear waters. May is a good time to visit as the weather is warm, and you can avoid the crowds.
- Sapa: Located in the northern mountains of Vietnam, Sapa is a beautiful town known for its rice terraces, ethnic minorities, and trekking routes. May is an excellent time to visit as the rice paddies are in full bloom.
- Hue: Located in central Vietnam, Hue was once the imperial capital of the country. The city is famous for its historical sites, such as the Imperial City, and its cuisine. May is a good time to visit as the weather is pleasant.
- Hoi An: This charming town in central Vietnam is famous for its ancient architecture, lanterns, and tailors. May is a good time to visit as the weather is dry, and you can avoid the crowds of the high season.
Tips for traveling in May
- Bring lightweight, breathable clothing and insect repellent for the warmer temperatures and increased humidity.
- Take advantage of the fruit season and indulge in a variety of tropical fruits available at local markets.
- Explore the picturesque landscapes and vibrant marine life through snorkeling and diving in destinations like Nha Trang and Phu Quoc.
May per destination
FAQ about traveling in May
Is the weather in May good for traveling in Vietnam?
he weather in May can be a great time to travel to some parts of Vietnam, depending on your preferences. The temperatures are usually warm but not too hot, and there is relatively low rainfall in many areas. The north and central regions can be pleasant with comfortable temperatures, although the humidity can still be high. The south tends to be warmer with higher humidity, but it is also the dry season.
How busy are the tourist areas during May in Vietnam?
May is considered shoulder season in Vietnam, so the tourist areas may not be as busy as they are during the peak season. However, it can still be relatively busy, especially in popular destinations such as Hanoi, Ho Chi Minh City, Halong Bay, and Hoi An. It’s important to note that May falls within the school holiday period for many countries, so there may be an increase in family travelers during this time. Overall, the crowds may not be as intense as during the high season, but it’s still a good idea to book accommodations and tours in advance to avoid any last-minute stress.