Sapa 3 day homestay trekking
- Make a unique trek through terraced rice fields and authentic villages
- In a 3 day trekking you go beyond the beaten tracks and see the most authentic areas around Sapa
- Enjoy a unique experience with an overnight stay with a local hill tribe
- Learn about the local cultures
Select date & options
What to expect
This trip is a great choice if you want to experience the full variety of hill tribes in the Muong Hoa Valley. It is a combination of beautiful landscapes with mountains and terraced rice fields and a unique culture with local hill tribes and overnight stays in local homestays.
Night 1: Hanoi night train
Make your own way to Hanoi train station.
Take the night train to Lao Cai. Overnight on the train is based on a bed in a shared 4-bed cabin. For a complete private cabin you need to contact us.
Day 1: Sapa homestay trekking
Arriving at the Lao Cai station early in the morning, you will be met to be taken to Sapa.
Breakfast will be prepared for you in Sapa before you start your Sapa adventure.
- Route: Lao Chai – Ta Van (overnight) – Giang Ta Chai – Seo Trung Ho / Su Pan – Ban Ho (Overnight)
- Difficulty: Medium – Difficult
From Sapa, we trek through beautiful countryside via Y Linh Ho to the Black H’mong Village of Lao Chai, where we spend time looking around the village and learning about local life. We have our picnic lunch in Lao Chai or at a suitable spot on our trek.
After lunch, we will hike through rice terraces and on local trails to the Zay village of Ta Van. This is the only village in the Sapa area where the Zay people live. We spend time looking around the village.
We meet our local Zay hosts at their home. Our hosts and guide will prepare the evening meal, and the rest of the evening can be spent chatting with the family or taking a stroll through Ta Van village.
Day 2: Sapa homestay trekking
After breakfast, we start a long day of hiking and head to the village of Giang Ta Chai. We walk along local trails, through rice terraces and scattered settlements to the Red Dao village of Giang Ta Chai to meet the people of the Red Dao minority with their colorful traditional clothing. We take picnic lunch in Giang Ta Chai or suitable place.
After lunch we follow local trails out of the village. There are currently two possible options:
Difficult option (not possible in bad weather): We continue hiking through a wilder and more undeveloped area to the Tay village of Seo Trung Ho where there is time to look around. We continue into the valley to the
the Tay village of Ban Ho, where we can observe the local life of the Tay minority in Ban Ho and compare life here with life in the H’mong villages near Sapa.
Easy Option: We will walk along local trails up the side of the valley and on to the closed road to Su Pan village enjoying the beautiful scenery. From there then a gradual descent from Su Pan through the forest to the village of Ban Ho. There is a small local school on the way down. At Ban Ho we have time to observe the local life of the Tay minority population and compare life here with life in the H’mong villages closer to Sapa.
We meet our local Tay hosts at their home. Our hosts and guide prepare dinner. The rest of the evening can be spent getting to know family life in Ban Ho or strolling through the village.
Day 3: Sapa homestay trekking
After breakfast there will be time to look around and experience life in the pretty village of Ban Ho (and take a dip in the river when the weather is good). There is also the option to visit the hot springs. We have our picnic lunch in a suitable place.
In the end we either make a steep accent on foot or on a motorcycle through the valley and in the direction we came from. Return to Sapa by jeep.
Rest and enjoy dinner before being taken to the station for the train journey back to Hanoi.
- Start tour: Hanoi train station
- End tour: Hanoi train station
- Duration: 3 days and 4 nights
- All accommodation described in the itinerary
- All meals described in the itinerary (B = Breakfast, L = Lunch, D = Diner)
- All transfers described in the itinerary
- Trekking tour with local guide
- Meals and services not describer in the itinerary
- Personal expanses
- Transportation from your hotel in Hanoi to the train station
- Confirmation: You will receive a confirmation immediately after booking. You will receive a voucher by e-mail within 3 working hours. If you have not received your voucher, please check the Spam or notify us via email or chat.
- Voucher:Save a digital voucher on your phone. As a sustainable company, we would like to ask you not to print the voucher..
- Itinerary: The itinerary is subject to change depending on the weather and other conditions.
- Pick-up:Please arrive at the hotel lobby 10 minutes prior to departure. Please be patient on shared / group tours in case of unforeseen delays along the pick-up route.
- Cancellation:View the cancellation conditions here.
In which class do I sleep on the train?
Overnight on the train is based on a bed in a shared 4-bed cabin. For a complete private cabin you need to contact us. When you travel with 4 people, you get the entire cabin.
What are the quality of the homestays during the trekking?
Staying in these local homestays is a unique experience. The homestays are basis, don’t expect much luxury. There are always western toilets, showers and beds with mosquito nets.
What do I do with my luggage during the trekking tour?
Luggage during hiking trips can be stored at the hotel in Sapa without any additional fees.
For general questions about payments, bookings, cancellations and changes, please visit our help center.